It’s the spookiest, and tastiest, time of the year. Who’s excited? We are! We are! We are! We’ve been waiting all year to share these fun and helpful and tasty recipes, crafts, and safety tips. We hope they help you and your family have a scary good Halloween season. Boo!
Just because it’s Halloween doesn’t mean your kids have to fill up on sweets. Check out these frighteningly easy Halloween veggie recipe ideas:
- Turn a pumpkin into a dip bowl. Scoop it clean and fill it with delicious veggie dip. Who can resist the fun?
- The Perfect Pumpkin Seed. Rinse pumpkin seeds thoroughly, dry and toss with your favorite savory spices. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes, stirring them on the sheet every 10 minutes. Thank your jack-o-lantern for the delicious treat.
- Eat Smart Cauliflower Riced Pizza. To turn it into a Pumpkin-esque Pizza, use a lighter orange pomodoro sauce. Chop veggies for the eyes and mouth. Or try using pumpkin puree for the base and top with marshmallows and cinnamon sugar for extra sweetness—the kids will love this one!
- Classic Chili. Handing out candy to trick or treaters while enjoying Eat Smart’s Slow Cooker Meatless Chili. It doesn’t get much better than that. Save time and stress, order the ingredients ahead of time at Eat Smart at Home.
Fun DIY October Crafts
- Cut an apple in half to create a creative pumpkin stamp.
- Use a leftover water or milk carton for silly ghosts. Take the empty carton and carefully cut the top out. Draw spooky eyes and face. Place an LED light (no real candles) inside and watch them come to “life”.
Safety Tips for a Fun Night
- Decorate costumes and bags with reflective tape or stickers
- Incorporate flashlights or glow sticks into your child’s costume so they can be seen by drivers.
- Consider face paint instead of masks, which may obstruct their vision.
- Always walk on sidewalks and paths! Walk facing traffic, and as far left as possible.
We hope you enjoy the tricks, treats and safety tips. Share your healthy Halloween-inspired creations with the hashtag #EatSmart. Have fun!